Friday, March 9, 2012

Yesterday i felt the earthquake at 1:51 pm and was freaked out. I just moved from California and thought the earthquake stuff wouldnt be here. I dont know if earthquakes here are unusual but it interested me to know ...well how many earthquakes does virginia get per year. Some things say
Virginia gets an earthquake every six years but i honestly dont know.|||2-3 per year are registered by the National Earthquake Center. They have to be above a lower threshold to be so registered; microquakes all the way down to the footfalls of horses are, of course, everywhere and all the time.|||my understanding is that it is well below one per year for greater than around 4 on the richter scale. somewhere around 1 every 15 years or so on average. the largest ever recorded was the same size as the one that just happened, around a 5.9 back in 1890 something. I am talking earthquakes that actually happen in Virginia, not happened outside Virginia but felt in Virginia. Up here near the New England-Quebec border, I feel one about every 4 years on average (6 over 22 years that I have lived up here). I felt that one yesterday. like a rocking boat. Virginia's earthquake activity is a lot lower than up here.|||I have been watching the news and from people's reactions who live in Virginia, they are extreamly shocked. I am almost confident that it is extreamly rare (the ones you can feel) because I live in New York and I yesterday was the first earthquake we have had in a tremendous abmount of time! I hope this helped!|||about 1 every 10 to 20 years in the state

a map shows quakes from 1990-2006 as small dots with small magnitude
a medium size dot will be felt more.|||Thousands of micro quakes every year. I don't know how many large ones though as I can't be asked to look it up even though I find georgraphy interesting.

火车采集器
  • lake compounce
  • laguna
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment