Friday, February 24, 2012

There was just an earthquake in virginia. Will the aftershocks be worse than the actual earthquake?|||most likely they will not be worse, but there is a chance that there may be some|||You can check out the earthquakes in the world on a live up-to-the-minute map at GlobalIncident.

As earthquakes happen, you can see their location on the map. Below the map there are details about the earthquakes.

When earthquakes happen and you hear about them in the news then you can check the map.

For instance, 10 hours ago (1:31 AM EST) there was another earthquake in Virginia of magnitude 3.4. You can see this clearly on the map.|||The aftershocks are always smaller than the original quake. If they are bigger, it is considered a separate earthquake(if the epicenter is far enough away geologically) or even the main earthquake and then the original earthquake is considered a foreshock. Also, aftershocks are more likely if the earthquake was shallow, as this one was. I live about 40 miles north of the one today and, though I grew up in San Diego, this one was scary, especially since the ground is not supposed to move like that here in VA. LOL|||Omg it was so scary i live in virginia and i was like freaking out but the earthquake was a 5.8 and the after shocks at the most should be around 2.8 way less than what we felt tuesday but i think there over now but there was one last night i think it was the last it was a 4.5 which was still scary but less than tuesday|||There was a 4.5 aftershock early this morning. It woke me up but I'm several miles from the epicenter so it wasn't bad. Right now everyone is freaking out more over Hurricane Irene and we're going to be evacuating. So this is a great week for Virginia.|||By definition, aftershocks cannot be worse than the 5.8 earthquake. If they were, then the 5.8 quake will be referred to as a fore-shock. To answer your question a little more directly, nobody can predict whether a stronger quake will occur.|||There already were aftershocks in Virgina, they were around 2.8, and I didn't feel them here in PA. I felt the 5.8. They are not concentrated here so if a big one came, they could feel it in the middle of the US I'm sure. You only need to worry if there is one higher than a 5.8, which is unlikely.|||There will most likely not be an aftershock. I'm originally from CA but it still scared the crap out of me since it's been many many years since I've experienced one AND I live near DC so "EARTHQUAKE!!" wasn't my first thought and wasn't the scariest thought that ran through my head.|||From what I've gathered it could be worse but likely not to be worse. i'm 60 miles from the epicenter and my wife felt the 4.2 aftershock at work at about 805. More to come Im sure. Very strange!|||Probably not. The television reported that you may or may not get aftershocks and they should occur within the next two months. Try to not worry about it .|||Just saw a report that there will not be any tsunami activity after the initial quake however there is still a chance of an aftershock don't think it will be worse though.|||Probably not but I was in the shower during the initial earthquake|||x3
Probably not, they are just aftershocks. x3|||jeeze i hope not, i am working in philly and my whole building started shaking! i live on the 11th floor too of a high rise. :-/|||I live about 25 miles from the epicenter and right about 8:00pm we had a 4.2 aftershock|||I hope not. Man that scared the **** outta me|||Jeez, I hope not. That was scary!|||Aftershocks are always worse than the first temblor...

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment